Ohio and Erie Canal Receipts. Lot of two, 3 1/4" x 5 1/4" voucher of Engineer Price of completed work for section 103; and 2 7/8" x 6 1/4" check from th Western Reserve Bank for contract work on the canal. Both pieces exhibit light wear, overall VG condition.
In 1825 ground was broken on the canal, sections opening as work was completes, and in 1832 the entire canal system was completed, connecting the Ohio River at Portsmouth and Lake Erie at Cleveland, Ohio. The canal carried freight traffic from 1827 to 1861, and then freight traffic rapidly diminished due to the construction of railroads. From 1862 to 1913, the canal served as a water source to industries and towns. In 1913 the canal was abandoned after much of it was destroyed by a flood.
top of page
bottom of page