Peck Road, Ariz. Aug 21st, 1882. The exact location for this receipt is unknown, though two possibilities are the road first built by Ed Peck for supplying Fort Whipple, the other is the mining road from Alexandria.
Ed. G. Peck secured the first hay contract at Fort Whipple, which was then located in Chino Valley. It was for three hundred tons of hay at thirty dollars a ton, to be cut with hoes. In connection with the hay contract for Fort Whipple, Ed. Peck and his associates are credited with building the first road into the Verde Valley, which was used to haul hay out to the military post. Peck's Lake was named for this early business venture.
The town of Alexandra was founded by E.G. Peck, the owner of the Peck Mine, a famous mining company at the time, In June 1875 while in the Bradshaw Mountains, Peck noticed a peculiar rock partly underground. After examination, the rock proved to be pure silver and the first of Alexandra was founded. The town is located in Peck Canyon and was named Alexandra after Mrs. T.M. Alexander, a founder and the first lady to be at the town. A long mountain road separated the town from Mayer. The silver ore produced from the mine was taken via pack train through Bradshaws to Aztlan Mill, thirty miles away. This became troublesome so eventually Peck built his own mill at Alexandra in 1877. A year later a post office was established. The town boomed and grew to seventy-five to 100 buildings. General stores, saloons, boarding houses, livery stables, a blacksmith and a brewery all existed there. Alexandra was lively until litigation problems began and by 1879 the town was mostly uninhabited and remained so for years.
top of page
bottom of page