Billhead, 7” x 8 ½” 1897. J.L. Summers, Rosewood Livery Stables Exhibits light use and handling, original fold lines, overall VG- Fine condition.
Jerome was founded in the late 19th century on Cleopatra Hill overlooking the Verde Valley, Arizona. The town owes its existence mainly to two ore bodies; In the late 19th century, the United Verde Mine, developed by William A. Clark, extracted ore bearing copper, gold, silver, and other metals from the larger of the two. The United Verde Extension UVX Mine, owned by James Douglas, Jr., depended on the other huge deposit. In total, the copper deposits discovered in the vicinity of Jerome were among the richest ever found. In its heyday it was home to more than 10,000 people in the 1920s. As of the 2010 census, its population was 444. Jerome made news in 1917, when strikes involving the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) led to the expulsion at gunpoint of about 60 IWW members, who were loaded on a cattle car and shipped west. Az643