Carte de visite, 4 x 2 ¼. Ca. 1870 view of the St Peter in Chains. Charles Waldack, Cincinnati phoitographer’s backmark.
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Peter in Chains is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati. The basilica is a Greek revival structure located at 8th and Plum streets in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. It is dedicated to Saint Peter's imprisonment and liberation. The church's cornerstone was laid on May 20, 1841, under the direction of then-bishop—later archbishop—John Baptist Purcell, yand the church was formally dedicated in 1845, as the first large church west of the Allegheny Mountains.
Charles Waldack (1828-1882) was a Cincinnati photographer and author. Better known as an outdoor photographer, he was the first to photograph Mammoth Cave (stereoviews), and is thought to have made the first published reference to cdv-sized tintypes / ferrotype cards, as well as producing a number of important images of the people and scenes around the Comstock gold fields. Waldack was born in Belgium, and returned there in 1874.
Strong tonality and contrast overall Fine condition. cdv 509
SKU: cdv 509