PORT OF PHILADEPHIA - WARDENS OFFICE - BEAUTIFUL ENGRAVING OF HARBOR SCENE 1866
Warden’s Office Port of Philadelphia, 1866, 16 ¾ x 14. Part imprinted document assigning the building of a wharf. Beautiful engraving dominates the top section, red affixed seal on bottom.
Created a department of City government by an ordinance of Councils of March 28, 1870, although the Wardens had been first established, as State officials, by an Act of Assembly of 1766 and, even after 1870, remained State officers in a strictly legal sense. Their functions included the examination and licensing of harbor pilots, the maintenance of all aids to navigation and the clearing of obstructions to it in the Delaware River and Bay, formulating regulations for the movement of vessels within the port, and the maintenance of the wharf line.
Original fold lines, a few light creases in corners, one small ¼ separation along fold line on edge, overall Fine condition. trma072